Find out about and book your place at all upcoming programs and events via http://orangemuseum.eventbrite.com
One of the major themes of Paddock to Plate: a history of food and wine in Orange and district is how changing technology has changed the way we live our lives. What better way to visualize this than the humble whisk. An item we all know but over time the whisk has changed shapes and sizes to accommodate our needs.
As a part of an interactive kitchen visitors to Paddock to Plate: a history of food and wine in Orange and district can explore changing kitchen technology and think about the days before electricity made our lives much easier.
Image: Whisks, loan courtesy of Molong Museum & Historical Society Inc. and Orange & District Historical Society Inc.
In 1979 Rob Gilmour was the first person to grow wine grapes commercially in the district. By 1983 Christopher and Catherine Bourke had commenced operations at Sons & Brothers Vineyard in Millthorpe. On show in Paddock to Plate: a history of food and wine in Orange and district is the wine press used by Christopher Bourke to process the first grapes grown at their property.
As well as the press the first wine barrel used by Stephen and Rhonda Doyle at Bloodwood Wines in the 1980s will also be on show. These items, accompanied by modern and historic photographs will help to tell the wine story of the Orange district.
- Wine Press, loan courtesy of Christopher and Catherine Bourke, Sons & Brothers Vineyard
- Photograph of Christopher Bourke using wine press, c.1980s, image courtesy of Christopher and Catherine Bourke, Sons & Brothers Vineyard
- Wine barrel, loan courtesy of Bloodwood Wines
Orange Regional Museum is calling on all local community organizations to share their stories and objects.
Orange Regional Museum is launching the ‘Community Case’ program to exhibit, share and record significant local stories.
Community organizations are encouraged to apply to display their objects and stories in the foyer of the Museum for three months during 2018.
Organizations will be assisted by the Museum team to curate displays and exhibit objects.
In 2018 Orange Regional Museum hopes to have three ‘Community Case’ displays on show from June 2018. Applications are now open and will close at 5pm on Friday 4 May 2018.
Community organizations can find out more and complete an application here or contact Orange Regional Museum on 02 6393 8444.
By Sandra McEwen, Consultant Curator, Paddock to Plate: a history of food and wine in Orange and district
It’s not often that I’m lost for words…but it happened recently. I was rummaging in a cupboard at Molong Historical Museum, looking for treasures. Suddenly, out of the darkness emerged a wheat flail that was made and used in 1873. The label attached indicated that Sam Clarke used it on his first wheat crop grown at Home Plain, Grega. It wasn’t just a wheat flail. It was one in excellent condition, with a complete story!
Wheat flails were used for the horrible job of beating (winnowing) the outer casings off ears of wheat to produce clean grain. The user hung on to the longer stick and thrashed the wheat with the short one. Leather tied the two sticks together. In 1884 the task was taken over by stripper-harvesters that could both reap the heads off wheat stalks and winnow them to harvest grain in one operation.
Wheat flails weren’t precious, so not many have survived to tell their tales. This discovery at Molong reinforced for me what an important role small regional museums play in preserving the treasures of our rural past. That little wheat flail sat undisturbed in the dark for many, many years, just waiting for its time to shine. The exhibition will be full of gems similar to this one. Whatever you do, don’t miss it!
Image above: Sam Clarke’s Flail, c.1873. Loan courtesy Molong Historical Museum
All objects have stories and by doing a little bit of research it is possible to uncover fascinating details which give meaning and insight to even the most mundane items.
The first two pages of this child’s French language text book provide links to the unique stories of the owners, retailer and author of the book. The stories behind the people linked to the text book provide a richness and depth to an otherwise unremarkable object.
Image: ‘French Without Tears’, Lady Bell, London, c 1910 ORM2017/197 Gift of the Gartrell Family
“French without Tears” was first owned by Miss Doris Maud Gartrell from 1912. Doris was also know by her second name, Maud. Doris was the daughter of Alfred Gartrell and Alison Gartrell (nee Brown) who were married at Orange Presbyterian Church in 1890. The book was passed on to Evelyn Gartrell, Maud’s younger sister, in 1924 and was used at Orange High School.
Hand written in black ink along the top edge of the front cover is “Doris M. Gartrell / High / Orange”. On the inside front leaf is “M. Evelyn Gartrell / 1AC & 2AC Orange High School / 1924-1925” and “Maud Gartrell / High School / Orange. / 7th Class. / Feb 7th 1912 / N.S. Wales”.
The Gartrell family, headed by James and Mary Ann Gartrell, first arrived in Australia from Cornwall, via the United States, in 1877. The many subsequent generations of the family have had a significant impact on Orange, establishing successful dairies, orchards and vineyards. Descendants of the Gartrell family still reside in Orange to this day.
Doris Maud Gartrell, photograph, Gift of the Gartrell Family
Evelyn Gartrell, photograph, Gift of the Gartrell Family
Image: Inside front cover ‘French Without Tears’, Lady Bell, London, c 1910 ORM2017/197 Gift of the Gartrell Family
The retailer of this book was “W.E.G. Satchell – Bookseller & Stationer”, as indicated by an ink stamp on the fly leaf. Satchell was a long term Orange resident and businessman who successfully ran his business in Summer Street for over 23 years. Obituaries published after William Edward Gould Satchell’s death in 1926 shed light on his influence in Orange.
The Sydney Morning Herald, Tuesday 27 July 1926
Death of Mr. W. E. G. Satchell. Orange The death has occurred of Mr. W. E. G. Satchell at the age of 62 years. He had been an invalid for over 10 months. For more than 26 years he was one of the most progressive business men of the town. He was a man of wide outlook in commercial life, of the strictest integrity, and a prominent member of the Church of England.’
Wellington Times (NSW : 1899 – 1954), Monday 2 August 1926, page 1
The Late Mr. W. E. G. Satchell. The following interesting article is from the Orange. ‘Advocate’: — ‘This estimable citizen, whilst temperamentally unwilling to be foremost, in public concerns, but rather a silent and generous supporter of every good and benevolent cause, after a long illness patiently endured, and lovingly attended by the most skillful and assiduous of nurses, two of his own daughters, Miss Edith and Miss Vida Satchell, passed to his rest on Saturday morning, 24th July, at 5 o’clock. He was a native of Liverpool, England, and 62 years of age. Coming to Orange 23 years ago from Wellington, he purchased a small book; and stationery business. His great business ability soon brought him increased trade, and at the time of his retirement Satchell’s was recognised as the largest business of its kind in the west. Mr. Satchell had great faith in the future of Orange, and he erected in Summer Street a most attractive pile of buildings that are one of the features of our main thoroughfare. No name was held in greater respect in the business life of Orange, than that of William Edward Gould Satchell.
Lady Florence Bell was a British writer and playwright who published eight works during her career. These works included three volumes of French without Tears, Twelve tiny French plays for children and two volumes of The Letters of Gertrude Bell.
Florence Olliffe married Sir Thomas Hugh Bell, the second Baronet Bell of Rounton Grange, becoming Lady Florence Bell in 1871. Along with the title, Florence became stepmother to Gertrude Bell. Gertrude was a writer, explorer, archaeologist, and spy during the early 1900s. She worked throughout the Middle East prior to WWI. After the outbreak of war she served with the Red Cross in France before transferring to British intelligence. As an intelligence officer she was tasked with getting soldiers through the deserts she had previously documented whilst working as an archaeologist. Following the fall of the Ottoman Empire, Gertrude was instrumental in the formation of Iraq as a self-governing monarchy. Working with Thomas Edward Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) she oversaw the appointment of Fasisal bin Hussenin as the first King of Iraq.
Following WWI Gertrude remained in Iraq and helped to establish the National Library of Iraq and the Baghdad Archeological Museum. After her death in 1926 she was remembered for ‘her taste for arduous and dangerous adventure with her scientific interest and knowledge, her competence in archaeology and art, her distinguished literary gift, her sympathy for all sorts and condition of men, her political insight and appreciation of human values, her masculine vigour, hard common sense and practical efficiency – all tempered by feminine charm and a most romantic spirit’
Gertrude was heavily influenced by the work of her father, factory owner Sir Thomas Bell, who played a major role in encouraging a change of attitudes towards the welfare of workers and the value of education.
Along with her other literary works Lady Florence Bell published two volumes of Gertrude’s correspondence from her twenty year career prior to WWI.
Image: Gertrude Bell, aged 41, outside her tent, Babylon, Iraq, 1909, ©Gertrude Bell Archive
 Obituary: Gertrude Lowthian Bell, D. G. Hogarth, The Geographical Journal , Vol. 68, No. 4 (Oct., 1926), pp. 363-368
ORM 2017/178 Napkin ring, Gift of the Gartrell family Stokes & Sons, EPNS napkin ring with engraved floral motif and beaded edges
An object can tell many stories, and sometimes a bit of investigation is required to find out all of its secrets.
Most pieces of silver or plateware will feature a manufacturer’s mark. These marks can help you identify where the object was made, by whom and when. This napkin ring, recently donated to Orange Regional Museum, has a manufacturer’s mark featuring a six pointed star with an “S” within, and an upturned boomerang above. Under the star and boomerang are the letters “EPNS S&S”.
ORM 2017/178 Napkin ring
We know that “EPNS” refers to the material the napkin ring is made of, electroplated nickel silver. To identify the other marks on the napkin ring we used a few simple online resources; firstly the directory of Australian Silversmiths (http://www.silvercollection.it/AUSTRALIASILVERSMITHSA.html) which gives an alphabetical list of silversmiths and marks. Assuming that the “S” is significant as it appears within the star and is also feature in the last section of the mark “S&S”, a quick look under ‘S’ leads us to a very similar mark by Thomas Stokes who was active in Melbourne from the 1850s.
Using this information we then verify the mark through a matching example in another museum’s collection. On this occasion we searched the Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences’ (MAAS) collection. Searching by the term ‘Thomas Stokes’ in the online catalogue (https://collection.maas.museum/) we find a decorative napkin ring made by Stokes and Sons in Melbourne c1920 with a matching manufacturer’s mark (https://collection.maas.museum/object/11681#&gid=1&pid=3).
Having positively identified the mark we conclude that the “S&S” refers to Stokes and Sons. Thomas Stokes emigrated from England in the 1850s and by 1856 had established himself as prominent a metalwork silverware producer. From 1896 Thomas’s sons, Harry, Thomas Jr. and Vincent, joined the firm and it began trading as Stokes & Sons. The MAAS has undertaken research into the manufacturer allowing us to establish a date range of manufacture as being between 1896 and 1920 by Thomas Stokes and his sons at their factory on Caledonian Lane, Melbourne, Victoria.
Why not see if you can find out about your own objects at home? We would love to hear about any discoveries.
A fascinating link to Orange’s past is presented by a glass cordial bottle with the name ‘F.H BROWN EAST ORANGE’ moulded on the front. Held in Orange Regional Museum’s collection, the bottle was found in the East Orange Channel by Orange City Council staff during works undertaken in 2016.
Glass cordial bottle, ‘F.H BROWN EAST ORANGE’, found in the East Orange Channel during works in 2016. ORM2016/227 Orange Regional Museum collection
Mr. F.H Brown was not Orange’s luckiest man, his cordial factory on Autumn Street in East Orange was up for sale in September 1914. However the sale did not go ahead as another article published by the Orange Leader reports his breach of the industrial act in July 1915. F.H Brown was fined for failing to keep time sheets and for pay sheets not being correctly written. His defense was that they were most likely placed in the waste paper basket. Found guilty Mr. Brown was fined £1.
Bad luck continued when Mr. F.H Brown’s cordial factory was destroyed by fire on Friday 13th December 1918. £1050 (over $50,000 in today’s money) worth of damage was done to the factory and machinery.
The fire seems to have been the final nail in the coffin for Mr. Brown as between February 1919 and late 1920 notices for the sale of a car, carts, wagons, scales, pumps and pipes were advertised in the local paper.
The bottle is a codd design that was used for carbonated drinks. This type of bottle is closed by a glass marble in the neck and a rubber seal in the lip. The bottles were filled upside down and the pressure of the carbonated drink closed the marble against the rubber seal. When opened the marble would fall into a larger chamber in the neck allowing the drink to be poured.
Because of the inclusion of the marble many of these bottles were broken after use to retrieve the marble for children’s entertainment. The bottle in the museum’s collection seems to have be broken for this purpose.
In October 1909 Mr. Walter Edgar Barrett was busy enlarging his factory to fit a new state of the art carbonating machine. At the time Mr. Barrett of Summer Street, Orange was the owner of the largest aerated water, cordial and ice works in the Western Districts and had recently been awarded prizes for his ‘non-intoxicating ale’ at the Royal Agricultural Show.
Barrett’s Cordial Factory, Orange, Catholic Press, Sydney, Thursday 14 October 1909
The Barrett’s cordial empire started with Walter’s father Thomas Barrett, who came to Orange from Bathurst to set up his business. By the time of Thomas Barrett’s death in 1916 the cordial business had been sold to a Mr. Cartwright. Cartwright held on to the business for about 12 months before selling to Mr. T.G.A Williams in 1917.
Found during excavation of the Orange Regional Museum site and held in the Museum’s collection, is a glass cordial bottle with ‘BARRETT ORANGE’ stamped on the side, indicating it’s use in the Barrett cordial factory on Summer Street. The bottle is a torpedo shape, designed to stop the bottle from being stood up. The cordial would then keep in contact with the cork so that the cork would not dry out and shrink, falling into the bottle.
Green glass torpedo-shaped cordial bottled marked ‘BARRETT ORANGE’. ORM2016/49 Orange Regional Museum collection
Cordial making in Orange was well established after the rush for gold at nearby Ophir in 1851. George Weily is believed to be one of the first manufacturers of cordials and ginger beer during in the 1860s. By the 1870s there were several firms specialising in making cordials in Orange.
A recent acquisition to the collection of Orange Regional Museum is a green glass bottle with wooden stopper, marked “W.S. STABBACK ORANGE”. William Samuel Stabback purchased the Phoenix Soda and Cordial Factory from Josiah Parker in 1871. The factory was located in a lane off Anson Street, now Stibbard’s Lane, (possibly a misspelling of the name Stabback).
Cordials were sold in a range flavours including; lemon, lime, raspberry and orange. The bottles were expensive to manufacture and were reused many times for the owner to make a profit. Often bottles were marked with the name of the manufacturer as can be seen with the Stabback’s bottle pictured below.
Advances in refrigeration and transport led to the decline of small cordial manufacturers. Whileys stopped manufacturing cordial in the 1960s.
Following from Josiah Parker’s carrier in cordial manufacturing he was Mayor of East Orange from 1888-1889. Similarly William Stabback was Mayor of East Orange in 1889, 1891-1893, 1895-1897.
Moulded green glass bottle with wood stopper, marked “W.S. STABBACK ORANGE”. ORM 2017/115 Gift of Denise Moriarty.
An 1894 dictionary of cookery, published by Cassell, Petter and Galpin, gives insight into the time intensive process of making cordial during the late 1800s. A recipe for Hops and Sherry Cordial involves shaking and pressing hops covering them with sherry and leaving for a month for the flavors to infuse. Following this the mixture is strained and sugar is added. The final product must be kept in ‘closely corked bottles’ and should be mixed with water to consume.
For more Victorian recipes including ginger, cinnamon and aromatic cordials check out the Cassell’s dictionary of cookery here.
Hops and Sherry Cordial Recipe, Cassell’s dictionary of cookery containing about nine thousand recipes, 1894