Visiting the museums and historic sites of the Orange, Cabonne, Blayney District provides an opportunity to experience the rural lifestyle of Australians at the time of Federation. Being able to see a 100 year old photo, farm machinery or tools used to craft the pioneer homes gives an appreciation of rural technology as well as the spirit of personal endeavour.
Explore the region through its Regional Museums Heritage Trail. Absorb the history and heritage of Australia’s colourful past. Explore Central NSW Museums
We are asking teachers to complete a short survey to help us plan and design programs for 2018. Complete the survey here.
In April 2018 Orange Regional Museum will open a new major exhibition focusing on the food history of the Orange district.
The exhibition will explore contemporary and historic themes around the region’s produce, food and wine, including the geography and environment of the region, distinctive produce, migration cultures, notable people and families, food related places, changing traditions around food and culinary history, celebrations and family stories.
As part of our planning we want to hear from local teachers about how this exhibition can support your teaching. The hope is to make the exhibition and offered programs as relevant as possible for all local schools.
We are asking teachers to complete a short survey to help us plan and design programs for 2018. Complete the survey here.
Contact Orange Regional Museum for more information.
P: 02 6393 8444
Orange Regional Museum
Wed 4 Oct – Wed 8 Oct 2017
It’s one of the greatest survival stories of all time and now, over 100 years later, a new panel display on tour from the Australian National Maritime Museum invites visitors to walk in the footsteps of famous Antarctic explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton and discover his epic voyage of survival for themselves.
Shackleton: Escape from Antarctica, brings together first-hand accounts and dramatic images by official expedition photographer Australian Frank Hurley to tell the compelling story of Shackleton’s Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition of 1914-17 and his bid to stay alive. The display opens at Orange Regional Museum on Wednesday 4th October.
Shackleton set out in August 1914 with a bold plan to be the first to cross Antarctica’s vast interior. His strategy was to have two parties working from opposite sides of the continent. He would lead the Weddell Sea crossing party while a second Ross Sea supply party would lay critical rations ahead of him.
Both ships were ultimately lost to their crews (one crushed and the other wrenched away by the ice), Shackleton’s party would never even touch the continent they hoped to cross, and the other would be marooned on it, desperately sledging across hundreds of kilometres of ice to lay depots for the party which would never come.
Through the eyes of modern-day adventurer Tim Jarvis AM, who re-enacted parts of Shackleton’s journey, and biologist and Shackleton fellow Mel Mackenzie, the display follows the harrowing experiences of both parties and asks visitors to think about their reaction and decisions.
Kevin Sumption, director and CEO of the Australian National Maritime Museum said,
“The story of Shackleton’s epic expedition thrilled thousands of visitors during its run in Sydney. And we are delighted that this touring panel exhibition will share this fascinating story with people all around Australia.
Local schools are invited to make use of the display and accompany learning resources. Orange Regional Museum is offering school visits to the display including worksheets and activities. For more information on options for schools please contact email@example.com or 02 6393 8444.
Shackleton: Escape from Antarctica is on display at Orange Regional Museum from Wednesday 4th October – Wednesday 8th November.
The Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney is the national centre for maritime collections, exhibitions, research and archaeology. As a Commonwealth cultural institution the museum is also committed to fulfilling its national mandate by developing programs and opportunities to share its expertise, collection and the national maritime story with regional communities throughout Australia.
Top: Dogs and dogloos beside the trapped Endurance, with meteorological station at its stern, 1915, Frank Hurley photographer, courtesy Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales
End: Members of the Ross Sea sledging party hauling supplies near Hut Point, October 1915, Ernest Joyce photographer, courtesy Canterbury Museum, Ernest Edward Mills Joyce collection
All objects have stories and by doing a little bit of research it is possible to uncover fascinating details which give meaning and insight to even the most mundane items.
The first two pages of this child’s French language text book provide links to the unique stories of the owners, retailer and author of the book. The stories behind the people linked to the text book provide a richness and depth to an otherwise unremarkable object.
Image: ‘French Without Tears’, Lady Bell, London, c 1910 ORM2017/197 Gift of the Gartrell Family
“French without Tears” was first owned by Miss Doris Maud Gartrell from 1912. Doris was also know by her second name, Maud. Doris was the daughter of Alfred Gartrell and Alison Gartrell (nee Brown) who were married at Orange Presbyterian Church in 1890. The book was passed on to Evelyn Gartrell, Maud’s younger sister, in 1924 and was used at Orange High School.
Hand written in black ink along the top edge of the front cover is “Doris M. Gartrell / High / Orange”. On the inside front leaf is “M. Evelyn Gartrell / 1AC & 2AC Orange High School / 1924-1925” and “Maud Gartrell / High School / Orange. / 7th Class. / Feb 7th 1912 / N.S. Wales”.
The Gartrell family, headed by James and Mary Ann Gartrell, first arrived in Australia from Cornwall, via the United States, in 1877. The many subsequent generations of the family have had a significant impact on Orange, establishing successful dairies, orchards and vineyards. Descendants of the Gartrell family still reside in Orange to this day.
Doris Maud Gartrell, photograph, Gift of the Gartrell Family
Evelyn Gartrell, photograph, Gift of the Gartrell Family
Image: Inside front cover ‘French Without Tears’, Lady Bell, London, c 1910 ORM2017/197 Gift of the Gartrell Family
The retailer of this book was “W.E.G. Satchell – Bookseller & Stationer”, as indicated by an ink stamp on the fly leaf. Satchell was a long term Orange resident and businessman who successfully ran his business in Summer Street for over 23 years. Obituaries published after William Edward Gould Satchell’s death in 1926 shed light on his influence in Orange.
The Sydney Morning Herald, Tuesday 27 July 1926
Death of Mr. W. E. G. Satchell. Orange The death has occurred of Mr. W. E. G. Satchell at the age of 62 years. He had been an invalid for over 10 months. For more than 26 years he was one of the most progressive business men of the town. He was a man of wide outlook in commercial life, of the strictest integrity, and a prominent member of the Church of England.’
Wellington Times (NSW : 1899 – 1954), Monday 2 August 1926, page 1
The Late Mr. W. E. G. Satchell. The following interesting article is from the Orange. ‘Advocate’: — ‘This estimable citizen, whilst temperamentally unwilling to be foremost, in public concerns, but rather a silent and generous supporter of every good and benevolent cause, after a long illness patiently endured, and lovingly attended by the most skillful and assiduous of nurses, two of his own daughters, Miss Edith and Miss Vida Satchell, passed to his rest on Saturday morning, 24th July, at 5 o’clock. He was a native of Liverpool, England, and 62 years of age. Coming to Orange 23 years ago from Wellington, he purchased a small book; and stationery business. His great business ability soon brought him increased trade, and at the time of his retirement Satchell’s was recognised as the largest business of its kind in the west. Mr. Satchell had great faith in the future of Orange, and he erected in Summer Street a most attractive pile of buildings that are one of the features of our main thoroughfare. No name was held in greater respect in the business life of Orange, than that of William Edward Gould Satchell.
Lady Florence Bell was a British writer and playwright who published eight works during her career. These works included three volumes of French without Tears, Twelve tiny French plays for children and two volumes of The Letters of Gertrude Bell.
Florence Olliffe married Sir Thomas Hugh Bell, the second Baronet Bell of Rounton Grange, becoming Lady Florence Bell in 1871. Along with the title, Florence became stepmother to Gertrude Bell. Gertrude was a writer, explorer, archaeologist, and spy during the early 1900s. She worked throughout the Middle East prior to WWI. After the outbreak of war she served with the Red Cross in France before transferring to British intelligence. As an intelligence officer she was tasked with getting soldiers through the deserts she had previously documented whilst working as an archaeologist. Following the fall of the Ottoman Empire, Gertrude was instrumental in the formation of Iraq as a self-governing monarchy. Working with Thomas Edward Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) she oversaw the appointment of Fasisal bin Hussenin as the first King of Iraq.
Following WWI Gertrude remained in Iraq and helped to establish the National Library of Iraq and the Baghdad Archeological Museum. After her death in 1926 she was remembered for ‘her taste for arduous and dangerous adventure with her scientific interest and knowledge, her competence in archaeology and art, her distinguished literary gift, her sympathy for all sorts and condition of men, her political insight and appreciation of human values, her masculine vigour, hard common sense and practical efficiency – all tempered by feminine charm and a most romantic spirit’
Gertrude was heavily influenced by the work of her father, factory owner Sir Thomas Bell, who played a major role in encouraging a change of attitudes towards the welfare of workers and the value of education.
Along with her other literary works Lady Florence Bell published two volumes of Gertrude’s correspondence from her twenty year career prior to WWI.
Image: Gertrude Bell, aged 41, outside her tent, Babylon, Iraq, 1909, ©Gertrude Bell Archive
 Obituary: Gertrude Lowthian Bell, D. G. Hogarth, The Geographical Journal , Vol. 68, No. 4 (Oct., 1926), pp. 363-368
Opening during FOOD week 2018, Orange Regional Museum’s new major exhibition Paddock to Plate: a history of food and wine in the Orange district will bring the food history of central NSW to life through engaging displays and informative research.
Paddock to Plate is an exhibition about the food history, culture, places and stories of Orange and the region. The exhibition will cover both the past and present stories of the geography, history and cultures that have shaped the development of Orange and the region as a food and wine hub.
During the exhibition Orange Regional Museum (ORM) hopes to offer a comprehensive program including educational opportunities, school holiday workshops, public lectures, cooking workshops, Up Late evenings and events at regional museums within the Orange, Cabonne and Blayney areas.
In order to deliver these programs the Museum is seeking sponsorship for programs associated with Paddock to Plate.
As a community based museum ORM’s aims to make our programs as accessible as possible. By reducing costs the museum can ensure that all members of the community can have the opportunity to attend and engage with the content on display.
To be able to offer these programs ORM is seeking monetary support from potential exhibition sponsors. Organizations can sponsor the program as a whole or in part.
Located centrally in a vibrant cultural precinct, Orange Regional Museum is able to offer a wide variety of community exposure prior to and during the exhibition that will help create a mutually beneficial partnership between the sponsor and museum.
Guide to the Orange District, 1901, Orange Regional Museum Collection
Catherine McAuley Catholic Primary School visit to Orange Regional Museum, April 2017
ORM 2017/178 Napkin ring, Gift of the Gartrell family Stokes & Sons, EPNS napkin ring with engraved floral motif and beaded edges
An object can tell many stories, and sometimes a bit of investigation is required to find out all of its secrets.
Most pieces of silver or plateware will feature a manufacturer’s mark. These marks can help you identify where the object was made, by whom and when. This napkin ring, recently donated to Orange Regional Museum, has a manufacturer’s mark featuring a six pointed star with an “S” within, and an upturned boomerang above. Under the star and boomerang are the letters “EPNS S&S”.
ORM 2017/178 Napkin ring
We know that “EPNS” refers to the material the napkin ring is made of, electroplated nickel silver. To identify the other marks on the napkin ring we used a few simple online resources; firstly the directory of Australian Silversmiths (http://www.silvercollection.it/AUSTRALIASILVERSMITHSA.html) which gives an alphabetical list of silversmiths and marks. Assuming that the “S” is significant as it appears within the star and is also feature in the last section of the mark “S&S”, a quick look under ‘S’ leads us to a very similar mark by Thomas Stokes who was active in Melbourne from the 1850s.
Using this information we then verify the mark through a matching example in another museum’s collection. On this occasion we searched the Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences’ (MAAS) collection. Searching by the term ‘Thomas Stokes’ in the online catalogue (https://collection.maas.museum/) we find a decorative napkin ring made by Stokes and Sons in Melbourne c1920 with a matching manufacturer’s mark (https://collection.maas.museum/object/11681#&gid=1&pid=3).
Having positively identified the mark we conclude that the “S&S” refers to Stokes and Sons. Thomas Stokes emigrated from England in the 1850s and by 1856 had established himself as prominent a metalwork silverware producer. From 1896 Thomas’s sons, Harry, Thomas Jr. and Vincent, joined the firm and it began trading as Stokes & Sons. The MAAS has undertaken research into the manufacturer allowing us to establish a date range of manufacture as being between 1896 and 1920 by Thomas Stokes and his sons at their factory on Caledonian Lane, Melbourne, Victoria.
Why not see if you can find out about your own objects at home? We would love to hear about any discoveries.
We’re looking for food and wine related objects, images and stories for a new exhibition Paddock to Plate: a history of food and wine in Orange and district planned for 2018
Orange Regional Museum is looking to borrow objects for our next exhibition Paddock to Plate: a history of food and wine in Orange and district.
In particular we are searching for objects relating to food and wine production, food traditions, and consumption, which tell stories about Orange and the region, its history, people and places.the
Objects do not have to be beautiful, old or valuable to merit a place in the exhibition.
What themes will be explored in the exhibition?
- Indigenous food practices, early settler food practices and changing food practices due to migration
- Development of agricultural and orcharding properties
- Food production technology and machinery
- Food packaging, retail and distribution
- Restaurants, cafes and shops
- Domestic food traditions and celebrations
- Cultural and religious food traditions
What objects may be relevant to these themes?
- Indigenous hunting, gathering and food preparation objects
- Colonial farming and domestic food objects
- Agricultural machinery, food production equipment
- Fruit crates, bottles, tins and containers from local producers
- Menus, signage, and equipment from restaurants, cafes and shops
- Recipe books, domestic kitchen equipment, dinnerware
- Photographs, documents, films, audio recordings, archival material and ephemera
Do you have an object/s that may be suitable?
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 6393 8444
Guide to the Orange District, 1901, Orange Regional Museum Collection
Sunny Ridge Orchards Packing Label, 1950-70s, Orange Regional Museum Collection
Chinese Migration to Orange and District
A new exhibit at Orange Regional Museum examines Chinese Migration to Orange and the district. This display tells the story of the first wave of Chinese migration, in the 1840s, to the establishment of market gardens and businesses that formed core components of our regional communities during the first half of the 20th century.
One of the highlights is a reconstructed Chinese opium tin found on the gold fields of Ophir by local metal detectorist Bill Schmich. Tins of this type would have been used by migrants who came to Australia to seek their fortune during the gold rushes of the 1860s-1890s.
The exhibit will also feature a collection of Chinese ginger jars found near Dalton and Woodward Streets, Orange. These jars would have been used by local Chinese market gardeners.
A ledger book details how Chinese migrants lived, what they ate, what they bought and how much they were paid. The ledger book on display from Crosshills Station near Moorilda notes payment from August 1883 to a group of Chinese scrubbers (land clearers) for 2 pounds per acre, about $300 in today’s money.
The ledger also gives insight into how the migrants lived. For example the ledgers show us the migrants bought extraordinary amounts of sugar. One entry dated April 1 1888 shows a purchase of 22 pounds of sugar for 10 shillings (approx. $65 today).
Chinese Migration: To the Orange District will open on Friday 19 May from 10am until March 2018.
Orange Regional Museum is open Monday – Sunday 9am-5pm.
Top: Reconstructed opium tin from fragments found at Ophir, 1850s. Loan courtesy of the Schmich family.
Centre: Ginger jars, 19th century. Loan courtesy of the Schmich Family.
Bottom: Ledger book, Crosshill Station, 1875-1888. Loan courtesy of the Brown family.
Meet the Conollys – a recent donation to the Orange Regional Museum Collection
A fascinating link to Orange’s past is presented by a glass cordial bottle with the name ‘F.H BROWN EAST ORANGE’ moulded on the front. Held in Orange Regional Museum’s collection, the bottle was found in the East Orange Channel by Orange City Council staff during works undertaken in 2016.
Glass cordial bottle, ‘F.H BROWN EAST ORANGE’, found in the East Orange Channel during works in 2016. ORM2016/227 Orange Regional Museum collection
Mr. F.H Brown was not Orange’s luckiest man, his cordial factory on Autumn Street in East Orange was up for sale in September 1914. However the sale did not go ahead as another article published by the Orange Leader reports his breach of the industrial act in July 1915. F.H Brown was fined for failing to keep time sheets and for pay sheets not being correctly written. His defense was that they were most likely placed in the waste paper basket. Found guilty Mr. Brown was fined £1.
Bad luck continued when Mr. F.H Brown’s cordial factory was destroyed by fire on Friday 13th December 1918. £1050 (over $50,000 in today’s money) worth of damage was done to the factory and machinery.
The fire seems to have been the final nail in the coffin for Mr. Brown as between February 1919 and late 1920 notices for the sale of a car, carts, wagons, scales, pumps and pipes were advertised in the local paper.
The bottle is a codd design that was used for carbonated drinks. This type of bottle is closed by a glass marble in the neck and a rubber seal in the lip. The bottles were filled upside down and the pressure of the carbonated drink closed the marble against the rubber seal. When opened the marble would fall into a larger chamber in the neck allowing the drink to be poured.
Because of the inclusion of the marble many of these bottles were broken after use to retrieve the marble for children’s entertainment. The bottle in the museum’s collection seems to have be broken for this purpose.
In October 1909 Mr. Walter Edgar Barrett was busy enlarging his factory to fit a new state of the art carbonating machine. At the time Mr. Barrett of Summer Street, Orange was the owner of the largest aerated water, cordial and ice works in the Western Districts and had recently been awarded prizes for his ‘non-intoxicating ale’ at the Royal Agricultural Show.
Barrett’s Cordial Factory, Orange, Catholic Press, Sydney, Thursday 14 October 1909
The Barrett’s cordial empire started with Walter’s father Thomas Barrett, who came to Orange from Bathurst to set up his business. By the time of Thomas Barrett’s death in 1916 the cordial business had been sold to a Mr. Cartwright. Cartwright held on to the business for about 12 months before selling to Mr. T.G.A Williams in 1917.
Found during excavation of the Orange Regional Museum site and held in the Museum’s collection, is a glass cordial bottle with ‘BARRETT ORANGE’ stamped on the side, indicating it’s use in the Barrett cordial factory on Summer Street. The bottle is a torpedo shape, designed to stop the bottle from being stood up. The cordial would then keep in contact with the cork so that the cork would not dry out and shrink, falling into the bottle.
Green glass torpedo-shaped cordial bottled marked ‘BARRETT ORANGE’. ORM2016/49 Orange Regional Museum collection