Making a donation
With generous support from the community, Orange Regional Museum is developing a heritage collection for use in the museum. Caring for the region’s history and heritage is an important part of the work of the museum. Developing the collection is a way of preserving unique stories about the region so they can be shared with current and future generations.
The museum is looking for objects that tell stories about Orange and the region, its history, people and places. Objects do not have to be beautiful, old or valuable to merit a place in the museum’s collection.
What sorts of objects are relevant to the museum? Here are the themes shaping the museum’s exhibitions and collection
Do you have an object that might be suitable for the museum?
- Tell us about your object
- To help the museum consider your offer of donation please tell us about your object by providing the following information
- Your name, phone number and email address
- A description of the object and its date
- Information about who owned and used the object and its connection to the history of the Orange region
- Is there any supporting information such as a photo of the item in use or the original owner, a film clip or other documentation?
- How did you come to own the object?
- Attach a photo of the object
Please do not send the object or original photos or documents, and do not leave the object at Council.
Contact us by email with the above information to have your offer reviewed email@example.com or phone 6393 8170
How the Museum will assess your offer
All offers of donation are considered by the Museum and Heritage Co-ordinator, drawing on expert curatorial advice if required.
Orange Regional Museum’s Heritage Collection Policy guides decisions on offers of donation. Sadly not all offers of donation can be accepted. The museum will assess your offer by considering its relevance to the museum’s collecting themes, its significance, condition and whether the museum has the resources to care for the item.
The museum does not accept items on long term loan but will consider short terms loans if the item is suitable to the exhibition theme. See Orange Regional Museum Heritage Collection Policy. ST131 – DRAFT – Strategic Policy – Orange Regional Museum Heritage Collection
Image: Tea pot, Orange Regional Museum collection, gift of the Gartrell family